Thursday, August 04, 2005

Embracing Torment

So shall My heavenly Father also do to you… (Matt 18:35)

Recently, the owner of a small Air Conditioning company gave me an estimate on a small job we needed done. The estimate seemed reasonable and he promised to start the job in about 10 days. I was excited about finally getting the work done. But, that was a month ago and we have not a heard a word from him. I’ve tried to call him several times.

We’ve had good experiences with this fellow in the past and he doesn’t seem like the type to just stop talking if he changed his mind. So, intellectually, I tell myself that he must have had something unexpected happen to prevent him from doing the job or calling us. He may have been in an accident, gotten sick or had some other crisis. But, I also have feelings that I try to suppress. For instance, I tend to feel disappointed and a little frustrated. In spite of my intellectual reasons for the problem, I still have emotions that tend to cause me to feel a little resentment that he hasn’t called.

So, assuming he has worse character than I thought -- what should I do? Jesus makes the answer quite clear. If I don’t forgive those who wrong me then God still demands payment for the debt I owe Him. God wants to forgive our debts but He won’t if we will not accept His Spirit and grace to forgive those who have caused us pain or loss. If we won't forgive, Jesus promises us torment. Lord, give us grace to forgive! Let's accept grace rather than holding a grudge and embracing torment.

Project:
Who do you not want to think about?
What or Who causes you to feel frustrated or resentful?

Pray something like this:

Father in heaven, I forgive __his name_ for __the hurt__ and causing me to feel __your specific feelings__. Heal my heart – my thinking and my feelings – so I may love you with all my heart.

“And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.”

So shall My heavenly Father also do to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment