Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Phony Phantoms

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. (Proverbs 27:1)

Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)

If something is unpleasant, difficult or unknown, I have a sad tendency of putting it off until tomorrow. This is a form of boasting, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” Tomorrow, I can work on my college degree. Tomorrow, I will begin to eat right and exercise. Tomorrow, I will start a daily time of prayer and Bible reading. Tomorrow, I will be reconciled to Dick and Jane. Tomorrow is full to overflowing with our boasts. But, the Scripture in James 4:17 warns us that if we fail to do the right thing then it is sin. This warning is about Today because that is the only day in which we have any control and can truly act. It has been said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Actions, no matter how small, are solid and real and are the stuff of Today. Intentions are the empty boasts, disappointed dreams and phony phantoms of Tomorrow.

Project:
• Let’s ask God to show us some small step we can take today.
• Let’s ask God for grace to take that small step and let's DO IT.
• Let’s ask God for grace to be doers rather than boasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment