Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Lazy Sluggard

The sluggard buries his hand in the dish, And will not even bring it back to his mouth. (Proverbs 19:24)


When I read this verse, I thought, “How lazy can you get?!” But, then I felt a finger pointing at me. How about when I took courses in college and passed without actually learning anything? Following that, I got married and vowed to care for and protect my bride but how often have I diligently tried to genuinely understand her needs and desires? My life has been dedicated to God in baptism. Or, has it? Is this particular day given to Him or am I mainly focused on looking out for Myself? It’s relatively easy to become a father in the flesh – but, am I and have I been a father that in humility understands his children, prays for them, guides them, challenges them and causes them to feel loved and affirmed? Instead, I have sometimes manifested anger coming from pride or, conversely, felt despair and escaped into entertainment or work. I accepted, maybe too casually, the responsibilities of being a leader at home and church – but, rather than doing what is necessary to finish the job, is my hand still buried in the bowl?


But, there is a yet higher standard as a disciple of Jesus -- And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. *


The reality is that we absolutely can not do what we ought without guidance, motivation, and help that comes from beyond ourselves. Too often, I coast along doing what seems good (or easy) without having taken time to try to get God’s perspective and guidance. I can get my hand into the bowl in my own strength but it takes grace from above to properly finish the job. Beginning is easy, properly finishing is another story. We often work hard on the wrong things because of our laziness in prayer, listening and sincerely seeking God's right way. Powerlessness in our life, messed up relationships and unfulfilled responsibilities can all flow out of being a sluggard in our relationship with God. May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. **

Project:

  • Consider what bowls you have gotten your hand into (what roles and responsibilities do you have)
  • Join me in repenting of being lazy in seeking to be ruled by the peace of Christ
  • Commit to daily seek God’s direction and strength to properly carry out each responsibility
  • Read and meditate on Colossians 3 (the whole chapter)

* (Col 3:17)

** (2 Thess 2:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment