Monday, October 02, 2006

Whose will rules?

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.(John 5:30)

This verse is amazing. Here we have Jesus, the Son of God, saying that He can do nothing from Himself. His whole goal is to seek and do the will of the Father. He fulfills completely the principle of honoring and obeying his father. But, even more, He reveals that even He can do nothing if His will takes priority of the will of the Father. This priority is shown in the way Jesus rose early or stayed up all night in order to be in harmony with His Father.

In contrast, my business and activities are often so pressing and “important” that I don’t have time to seek God’s will and direction in my own life. In other words, we can demonstrate by our actions (our life language) that we believe our will and judgment to be more important and productive than God’s will and judgment. Then we wonder why our lives get in a twist. We may even end up shaking our fist at God.

It’s easy to give lip service to the idea that we want God’s will as first priority. If children say they want to do God’s will and then disobey their mother, does that mean that their Mom is serving Satan? Or, are the children just doing their own will? If I ignore the priorities of my boss at work, am I actually seeking God’s will? I Peter 2:18 indicates that it’s God’s will for us to be subject to and obey some men.

But, even more, am I daily trying to get God’s perspective on my life and decisions by meditating on Him and His Word? Talk is cheap. The true test comes in whether we will genuinely seek to daily know and follow priorities, judgments and goals other than our own. If not, we will eventually look back and see wasted time, investments and life. In contrast, anything we do in the will of the Father has eternal purpose and everlasting value. Whose will rules in your life?

Project:

  • Let's repent of "doing our own thing".
  • Consider how to seek God’s will more diligently
  • Begin a new habit of seeking

I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord--but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent Me. (John 5:30) (Amplified Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment