Sunday, February 20, 2005

Body Language

The Body Language of Life

And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. He said unto them, But whom say you that I am? (Luke 9:19)

When speaking to my bride, I may tenderly say, “I love you.” But, there are times when my body language or daily priorities speak another message that says, “My favorite book, TV show or sport is more important than you.” Whenever this happens, it is vital to our relationship for me to repent of my wrong priorities. A marriage relationship can not survive on just words but our actual love will be expressed by what we do. In the same way, the actual beliefs of every individual or group is communicated by what is done more than by what is said.

What message does our "church" communicate about Jesus? We can be associated with some religious tradition for many reasons; some of which include: marriage, birth, intellect, accident or revelation. The focus of that religion may be the Bible, some great prophet or personality, a tremendous truth, morality or even God. But, it takes courage to honestly act on the answer to the question, “What does this group actually say about Jesus?” If the answer to this question is that he is a great prophet, example or teacher, but someone or some teaching is more important then Jesus, there is a problem. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, the Lord of Lords, the Lover of our soul and the Only Way to Real Life and Eternal Life. Is this the message of your congregation as expressed in its words, priorities, activities and spending? If Jesus is not Lord in that group or tradition then it is time for change.

Scripture says that it is impossible to say, “Jesus is Lord” without the power of the Holy Spirit. This speaks of the message of our life. Our life communicates in the choices we make, the things we focus on as highest priority, and the fears we have. Without the Holy Spirit, without Real Love, without spiritual life flooding through my whole existence, it is impossible to genuinely obey Jesus as Lord. The most important question we hear comes from Jesus, “But whom say you that I am?” Our answer shows up in the body language of our life.

Project:

* Let’s ask God for insight, “Reveal to me what message my life actually communicating.”

* Consider what your first and last thoughts are each day and the priorities they represent.

* Consider, “Do my activities and attitudes actually demonstrate consistency with the idea that Jesus is my Lover, Lord and Savior?”

* Let’s change our mind about wrong priorities and ask God for more Holy Spirit power to seek, obey and love Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Gerry,
    I'll make this short because I need to go spend some time with my wife. You are one of about 4 people in my life that refuses to let me off the hook. Thanks. Keep pushing.
    Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete