Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Impotence

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. (2 Cor 12:9)

I knew that so much could not be good for my health. Yet, the more I struggled against it, the more I ended up consuming. Finally, I completely gave up the struggle and just fed my appetite. This defeated approach continued for a few years until fear of physical problems made me desperate. Yet, I knew that I was too weak to overcome the power of my appetite and social habits. I finally fell to my knees and begged God for Him to make a change. And, He did.

The thing I was struggling with got swept away in a God inspired and God empowered change to my entire lifestyle. Christ’s strength flooded through the area where I felt most powerless. But, I have not completely learned the lesson because I keep finding myself frustrated at not being able to do what I know I should. Lately, I’ve noticed struggling against procrastination and irritation but I’m so easily defeated. In contrast, Paul rejoiced in his weaknesses because he had confidence that it was in those areas where Christ’s strength would be most clearly manifest.

“Watch and pray, that you enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41).

Prayer is the key to power because it is through prayer that our weakness becomes a point at which Christ’s strength can break out. When I fail to pray and bring my weakness before Father then I am doomed to depend on my own flesh. Therefore, let’s not miss out on this wonderful transformation. Let’s daily bundle up our struggles, weaknesses and failures and prayerfully offer them to Father. Incredibly, He actually wants Christ’s own power to be revealed in those very areas where we feel most defeated and impotent. We will remain impotent only where we remain prayerless.

Project:
-- Let’s daily PRAY and..
* Ask God to show us any area where we are so defeated that we have shut it out of our mind or an area where we are struggling in our own strength.
* Admit our weakness, defeat and failure to Father.
* Ask God to work in that area to reveal Christ’s strength.
* Anticipate God leading us to take new steps that, surprisingly, we have strength to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment