Monday, October 25, 2004

Test Your Own Level of Wisdom

Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him. (Proverbs 26:12)


As mentioned in John Siburt’s sermon yesterday, the “Pharisee” in each of us tends to make checklist like the one that follows into a black and white test. Am I wise in my own eyes? Is so-and-so wise in his own eyes? But, in reality, we trust our personal wisdom differently as we face decisions in varying areas. For some decisions, we are open to the counsel of others; but for other decisions we have made up our mind and neither heaven nor hell will change it. As you read through these questions, ask God to reveal areas where He wants you to have less wisdom in your own eyes. Ask God to give you His evaluation of you on each question.

Do I actually admit to myself a need to change in some area?

Do these questions make me feel defensive?

Would others say that I am willing to admit a mistake or failure?

Do I usually have an excuse for why I don’t make changes?

Do I sincerely consider the opinions of those who disagree with me?

Do I genuinely listen to, understand or get advice from my wife (or husband)?

Do I tend to immediately defend myself whenever I feel criticized (especially by those who know me the most)?

Do I understand my children’s perspective?

Do I seek the counsel of my adult children?

Do I give my opinion more weight than other’s experience?

Do I seek the counsel of my parents (in spite of how messed up their own lives may be)?

Do I personally seek guidance in God’s Word?

Do I avoid or seek sermons, Bible classes, seminars and retreats?

Do I usually listen to a lesson or sermon with an attitude of asking how I personally should change?

Do I normally listen to a sermon looking for ways to criticize it?

Do others (especially those closest to me) say that I am quick to ask forgiveness?

Do I praise myself?

Am I basically wise?

Project: Let's beg for God’s grace to sincerely desire and diligently seek His wisdom.

--
To add your own questions to the Wise in Your Eyes Self Test by pressing the button to add a comment.
--

No comments:

Post a Comment