Sunday, June 05, 2005

Opening the Door to the Father of Lies

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

A friend asked me if I could come over on a certain Saturday and help him pour his concrete driveway. He asked several men that were part of our prayer group. I said, “Yes.” But, I didn’t tell him that I was only going to stay for the morning because I wanted to work on one of our showers.

So, I helped with pouring the driveways until the lunch break. Then, I told his wife that I had to leave and disappeared. I drove to the store and bought the parts for the shower and went home to fix up the shower. But, I was feeling guilty about leaving my friend and that caused me to be irritable and distracted. I ended up making a big mistake on the shower and reacting in anger. My reaction totally spoiled the afternoon and evening. Later, I found out that several others had to leave early and only one or two men were able to stay and help.

We sometimes have golden opportunities to demonstrate our faith and trust in God by putting His priorities ahead of ours. In this case, I should have recognized that this was a “good work” or a good deed for which I was created. As soon as I quit working on the good work ordained by God, I lost my peace and my work ended in a mess. I could have been a blessing but was, instead, a curse. When we put our projects ahead of God’s priorities we are opening the door to the father of lies..

Project:
Let’s commit to God, that by His grace, we will each put His priorities ahead of ours.
At the same time, let's not judge others and their priorities.

Enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified. (Ps 143:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment