Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Thrown in the Burn Pile

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. You shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?” (Matthew 7:15-16)

In my earlier years, I made more than a few decisions which I later regretted. For instance, I decided to stop going to church when I got off to college. The first week I was there I went to church but then I succumbed to the temptation to sleep in on Sundays. I knew my parents would not be happy with this decision. So, I never went beyond telling them that I had gone to church that one Sunday. A few years earlier, my Dad had prevented me from buying a motor scooter. I was not able to override that decision but instead of accepting with a good attitude, I sulked about it for a long time. Several years later, after getting a different perspective I was finally able to express gratefulness to my Dad for his caution, concern and love for me.

There was no specific person who encouraged me to take the wrong perspective on these decisions. They were driven by my own desires and priorities. Ideally, as we grow in wisdom, we can begin to anticipate the fruit of different choices based on the experiences of others. In other words, we can learn to accept guidance, teachings or testimonies of others as ways to learn from the experience of others. The grapes or thorns of the results of their choices can help one recognize the way of the Wolf or the Shepherd.

Why did the Galatians or Corinthians turn away from Paul’s teaching and start following false teachers? Surely they would recognize and follow the Apostle Paul’s teachings. But, our natural tendency is to follow the desires of our lower, worldly nature. Paul’s encouragement to be filled with the Spirit, follow the way of Love and to deny one’s self was a call to a higher plane. It takes spiritual growth and maturity to begin to find that higher ground desirable. In contrast, false prophets and false ways are attractive because, in some way, they appeal to the worldly, sensual, prideful or self-centered parts of each us. But, there is good news. Anyone who has been sealed by the Holy Spirit has power from God to draw back, inspect the fruit and make a life-giving choice that will lead to right results. Every aspect and activity of our life should have the aim of building God’s Kingdom and seeking His right ways. In contrast, a false prophet or path calls us to throw some aspect of our future into the burn pile.

Project:
Let’s ask God to reveal any false path, idea or teacher we might be following.
Let’s ask God to show us whether we are moving toward higher ground or our lower nature.
Let’s ask God for grace to change our mind and direction wherever He reveals the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment