Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Deadline

The one who despises the word will be in debt to it,
But the one who fears the commandment will be rewarded. (Prov 13:13)


How truly incredible that the Creator of the universe will and does speak to each of us. But, when He speaks, His word becomes either life or death for us. Men rejected and continue to reject Jesus (the Living Word) because they first despised God’s Word as it was personally revealed in each of their hearts. If we despise His word to us, reject it and neglect to apply it, then we will be judged by the light we have heard and rejected. But, if we treasure it and try to act on it then it brings new life to us and to our relationships with Him and each other. If we do not seek to hear His Word then we obviously despise it in comparison to other things. God is eager to speak to us. But, frequently we are too self-centered and distracted by worldly concerns, cares of this life or just things and so we -- miss His guiding and transforming Word.

Personally, this self-centered approach to life has occupied me too much. I feel that relationships have been damaged, days wasted and years lost. I've spent too many anxious moments thinking about car repairs, mowing the grass and "deadlines" at work. But, I've not spent enough time earnestly seeking and pursuing the mission God had or has for me before I reach the real deadline of death. Lord, have mercy!

Project:

  • Repent of any attitude of despising God’s Word.
  • What word is God speaking to you today?
  • Treasure that word by memorizing it and meditating on it.
  • Use it for a TRIP.

Make the TRIP
T – Thanksgiving
R – Repent, Regret
I – Intercession
P – Purpose

Example:
The one who despises the word will be in debt to it,
But the one who fears the commandment will be rewarded. (Prov 13:13)

Thanksgiving –
Father, thank You for your amazing love and concern for us as demonstrated by how you have given us your commandments, word and even the Living Word -- your Son.

Repent, Regret –
Many times I have failed to truly respect, seek, believe and keep your word and have, too often, acted in opposition to your word. Forgive me ways I have caused others in our family or among my neighbors to despise any part of your Word.

Intercession –
May the desire for and love of You and Your Word grow ever deeper in my heart and in the hearts of all those I influence. May your Word live in my heart, produce fruit and be manifest in the flesh and blood of my life.

Purpose –
By your grace, I purpose to always believe, respect and keep your Word in the depths of my being. I will daily search for your daily word to transform my remaining days.

No comments:

Post a Comment