Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Being Sensible


Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in; hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them. (Psalms 107:4)


Shortly after I was married, I read a book that stimulated my thirst. I became thirsty; thirsty for a genuine relationship with God. That thirst pushed me to do “something”. I didn’t know what to do but it seemed like I needed to find help for my thirst and I needed it that day and not some tomorrow. So, that very night, we packed up and traveled a couple of hundred miles arriving at dawn to visit some people who I thought might have some answers. They didn’t have all the answers but that journey and the prayer which was that journey became the beginning of a journey that has led to genuine food and drink for my soul. That sudden trip was as much a cry to the Lord as the prayers that were vocalized while we traveled.

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way till they reached a city to dwell in. (Ps 107)

When we are in distress, God will hear the cry of our hearts if it is not quenched by our pride. But, what hunger and thirst is causing distress? Perhaps, like Eve, we hunger for some forbidden fruit or thirst for some deluding drink. Or, it may be that, like Adam, we thirst for companionship or human love. These desires can disguise and get in the way of deeper and more significant needs. I found that even when my natural desires were satisfied, there was a deeper hunger which continued to cast a shadow over my life.

For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things. (Ps 107)

When we made that trip with our little baby, one result was a new determination and commitment to sincerely seek God and His ways. The life of that child was suddenly set on a new track because of what had happened to his dad. God gave a desire to know what His Word meant and grace to daily seek Him. The direction of career, home location, financial priorities and family goals were all fundamentally and wonderfully affected. Yet, these changes sprang from a single trip which was actually a cry to God for real water and food. It would have been so easy to quench the spirit. My bride could have resisted this sudden, crazy trip. I could have stopped and said, “Let’s be sensible. It’s late. We’ll sleep on it and tomorrow maybe I will do something.” I believe we would have missed a vital opportunity and stifled a cry to God if we had been “sensible”.

Project:

  • Look beyond the surface desires. What do you actually want?
  • Go on a fast. Ask God to give the gift of thirst and hunger of Spirit.
  • Not only speak a cry to the Lord but act out the cry by taking actual steps to seek God in new ways.
  • Don’t quench the cry; don’t put off action.
--

No comments:

Post a Comment